Checklist for Planning with Siblings for Senior Parental Caregiving
When considering care needs for an older parent, planning with siblings for what’s ahead can seem a daunting task, but understanding the basics of what to discuss can help. Below is a checklist to assist with the planning process.
Tips for Planning with Siblings
- During the meeting(s) with your siblings, keep in mind each sibling’s talents, skills, interests and availability.
- Match tasks with individual strengths but realize that the duties may not be divided equally or even necessarily fairly.
- Be flexible and adapt the plan and duties as needed.
- Be sure to include parents in making all final decisions. They may make different choices than you or your siblings would have, but try to honor their wishes when possible.
Discuss Present and Near Future Needs
- Current medical issues as well as how they may progress and affect care needs
- Housing, including home renovation measures for fall prevention and safety
- Transportation to doctors’ appointments, shopping, errands, outings
- Meals and housekeeping
- Medication management
- Bill pay and record keeping
- Companionship to avoid isolation, depression and mental decline
- Basic home and yard maintenance
- Financial resources
- Consider the “what ifs”
Gather Parental Legal and Financial Documents
- Advance directives
- Medical and durable power of attorney
- Insurance policies
- Monthly or outstanding bills
- Bank accounts
- Certificates of deposit
- Investment certificates
- Business venture interests
- Deeds, mortgage papers
- Professional caregivers at home vs. a move to a facility or sibling’s residence
- Respite care for family caregivers providing care for parents
- Financial advisor to assist with financials and legal paperwork
- Aging life care specialist/geriatric care manager
- Handyman or senior home renovation specialist
- Adult day care
- Community support groups
At CareWorks Health Services, we are aware that complicated family dynamics are frequently at their highest when dealing with caregiving needs for a senior loved one. Contact us to find out how our home care services can help alleviate worry and supply the solutions to care that can restore peace to family members.
Sources: PBS, Huffington Post