“I am looking forward to moving to a nursing home facility.” This isn’t a phrase you hear often from seniors. That is because most seniors would prefer to age comfortably at home. However, there are a number of wrong ideas about the cost of in home senior care. Many may think they can cover home care costs with Medicare or Medi-Cal or insurance, but the reality is, most home care clients pay with private money. Though Medicare does cover home health care on a limited basis, if it’s considered to be medically necessary, it does not cover homemaker services – and, most health insurance and Medicare supplemental plans don’t cover any kind of in-home care.
According to Rod Perkins, VP of insurance regulation of the American Council of Life Insurers, “Baby boomers have seen their parents have long-term care needs and weren’t prepared. And it’s not just an old-age product. You could need in-home care as a result of an accident.”
If you and your elderly loved ones are not prepared to pay out of pocket for home care, however, be assured that there are some more paths to explore.
Ways to Cover In Home Senior Care Cost
- Veterans’ assistance (click here to check eligibility requirements)
- PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
- Long-term care insurance policies that particularly include in-home care services
- Reverse mortgages
- Organizations geared to help with particular needs, such as the Alzheimer’s Association, the ALS Association, and Easter Seals, may offer you respite care vouchers
- Community support, such as through religious organizations, the local Area on Aging, the United Way and area senior centers
The Benefits.gov site is also a great resource to find out what federal benefits you could be eligible for. Contact CareWorks Health Services for further resources and help with making sure no stone is left unturned when considering providing California home care for your precious older loved ones. We’re skilled at exploring every possible avenue to assist families discover any benefits for which their older loved ones qualify. We can help make professional in-home care services a real possibility for you!