Seniors in California are inundated with an explosion of high tech products aimed at improving their safety and independence and enhancing their lives. By pressing a few buttons, they can instantly visit by video with friends and family through Skype, wear a bracelet that connects with emergency personnel when assistance is needed, and even be found if lost or wandering because of specialized sensors attached to clothing or shoes.
The challenge becomes how to encourage California seniors (and their family caregivers) to shift from a low-tech mindset to embracing all that’s available to them. A recent Caring.com survey showed that as few as 15% of families caring for senior loved ones are actually utilizing technology. The common issues?
- Stigma. Many people see the use of certain technology, such as medical alert jewelry, as a sign of lost independence.
- Support. Troubleshooting technology products that aren’t working correctly causes many seniors and their caregivers to give up on trying to make the technology work.
- Time. Finding time to devote to learning and trying something new is especially challenging for busy caregivers.
The good news is that our Orange County home care services can help seniors embrace technology. If you’d like to incorporate a little technology into caring for a senior loved one but are facing these problems or others, call on CareWorks Health Services for help. Our trained and patient staff can help overcome the technology hurdles by:
- Making recommendations for technology that suits an individual’s needs and personality
- Setting up and providing instruction on how to use the technology
Whether it is setting up a personal medical alert system or teaching someone how to enjoy applications on a tablet device, we can help seniors stay connected to family and friends and enjoy life to the fullest! Give us a call at (949) 859-4700 to learn more about our dedicated Orange County home care providers.