Good Communication is Key When Caring for Aging Parents
In an ideal world, we could neatly compartmentalize our caregiving duties, adhering to a routine that met the needs of a senior loved one, while allowing the time needed to take care of our wide variety of other responsibilities. But of course, life doesn’t always adhere to our desired script, and contradicting needs are frequent when caring for an older adult. Many senior loved ones resist the need for help, while others may come to rely too heavily on an adult child, leading to unmet expectations and ultimately aggravation for both parties.
CareWorks Health Services’ aging care specialists offer the following recommendations to help clarify expectations and communicate effectively:
- Emphasize empathy. In place of drawing away from an older loved one whose demands seem unrealistic, pause and empathize. Think through the issues your parent is facing, and how it would feel to be in his / her shoes. Then communicate your honest concern and desire to help.
- Permit each other to be heard. Initiate a discussion with your parent, encouraging him or her to express how it feels to be in need of care, and what kind of care is needed. Ascertain what the older adult’s objectives are, and then share your own personal expectations and limitations in being able to fully meet his or her needs.
- Compromise to come to a solution. Finding a resolution that works for both of you may be much easier than you believe. For instance, in case the senior expects help with transportation in accordance with a specific schedule several times each week, perhaps you can provide that assistance 1 day, while enlisting the aid of others to cover additional days. This provides for enhanced socialization for the older adult as well as the healthy life balance you need.
CareWorks Health Services is prepared to partner with family caregivers with highly trained, thoroughly matched care professionals who are passionate about making life the best it can be for cherished older adults. Working together with CareWorks Health Services allows adult children to ensure their aging parents are well taken care of all of the time, whether by filling in with respite care where needed, through around-the-clock live-in care, or any number of solutions in between. Just some of the various ways we are able to help include:
- Safe, accompanied transportation
- Running errands
- Planning and preparing nutritious meals
- Keeping the house clean and neat
- Offering friendly companionship to brighten each day
- Innovative and highly specialized care for those diagnosed with dementia
- And much more
Reach out to us at (949) 859-4700 to share the challenges you’re facing, and also to let us share information about the respite care Newport Beach and surrounding area families trust. To find out if our top-rated home care services are available in your area, please visit this page on our website.