Life, especially but not exclusively during the course of the pandemic, can be full of uncertainty. For seniors who are feeling less in control of certain areas of life, such as losing cognitive or physical functioning, focusing on exactly what can be controlled is empowering. An excellent place to begin is by setting a daily routine for seniors, adapted to an older adult’s particular needs and interests.
Keep in mind the senior’s routine is certainly not meant to be a strict schedule to be adhered to, but simply the basis for predictability and structure. With the older adult’s direction and input, make a decision on a preferred framework for every day. A sample day to day routine might look like this:
- Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
- Take care of personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast on the porch while listening to the news
- Take a walk
- Work on a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to bring to the nearby park
- Run an errand
- Spend some quiet time reading or take a short nap
- Make dinner together and tidy up afterwards
- Take a bath
- Watch a film
- Go to sleep at 10 p.m.
- Routines lower stress and anxiety. Routines are calming and comforting, preventing the need to worry and wonder about what’s going to occur next, who will be there to help, and how to make sure that everything will be taken care of.
- Routines improve sleep. Studies have shown that sticking with a daily routine helps with sleep quality as well as the ability to fall asleep and remain asleep.
- Routines allow for high quality time with friends and family. Seniors and those who care for them can create routines that incorporate enjoyable time together. Include favorite pastimes, weekly dinner dates at a well-loved restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
Our home care team is skilled at creating personalized care plans and schedules in order to make each day the best it can be for older adults and the ones who love them through a full range of home support services, including:
- Morning wake-up assistance, including personal hygiene and cooking breakfast
- Engaging companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with friends and family, medical appointments, etc.
- And many more, according to each person’s particular needs
Reach out to us any time through our online contact form or over the phone at (949) 859-4700 to learn more about setting a daily routine for seniors and also to schedule a no cost in-home consultation. We’re happy to share more about why we’re the top provider of home care services in Newport Beach and the surrounding communities.