Holiday Celebrations with Seniors During COVID-19
Think about the most perfect holiday celebrations you can imagine. While that image will vary a little for each of us, it might include gifts, lights, good food, and traditions handed down through the generations. Yet what absolutely rings true for everyone is the joy in spending time with those we love.
Unfortunately, the COVID-19 crisis has caused us all to reconsider how to safely experience holiday celebrations with seniors. With a little bit of ingenuity and creativity, however, it is possible to bridge the gap and make new memories with the older adults you love, even if you are not able to be with them in person this year.
Our aging care experts have compiled a variety of suggestions to allow you to get started:
- Adjust traditions. Consider the traditions that mean the most to you as well as your family, and how you can change them to help keep everyone safe. For instance, if the family usually gets together every year to bake cookies, you can utilize Zoom or a comparable platform to stay connected while making cookies from home. Decide on a favorite recipe, have everybody sign in at a specified time, and bake away while visiting and listening to some holiday music.
- Don’t forego decorating. Seniors who live alone often look ahead to having loved ones, especially grandchildren, visit to help with holiday decorations. Without in-person visits, older adults might not be interested in decorating. Again, using a software app like Zoom, plan a time for everybody to get together online and share the stories behind favorite decorations.
- Enjoy the outdoors. If weather permits, plan brief visits with older adults outside, safely socially distant and with face coverings. String lights on trees in the yard and decorate the front porch.
- Send smiles. Letters, cards, pictures, phone calls, small gifts, etc. will all mean a great deal to seniors who will be missing time with loved ones. Coordinate with family members to take turns reaching out as much as possible in ways such as this so that your older loved ones are overwhelmed with expressions of love.
- Share your emotions. There is nothing quite as heartwarming as hearing from someone you love about the impact you have made on his or her life. Take this time to express your thankfulness towards the seniors you love for the difference they have made in your life, and be specific: “Dad, your patience with me when I was a teenager taught me what unconditional love looks like, and thanks to you, I’m a far more patient person with my own kids.”
CareWorks Health Services offers trusted in home care in Laguna Woods and the surrounding communities. Our care providers are experienced and highly trained in enhancing quality of life for seniors at home and follow stringent safety protocols for everyone’s protection. Contact us at (949) 859-4700 to find out how we can help make this holiday season the very best it can be for an older adult you love.