The earliest signs might be so subtle that most people wouldn’t even detect that anything is amiss. Mom is outgoing, friendly, and conversational when visiting your family and while running errands. However those closest to her are beginning to pick up on concerns: being forgetful about the soup cooking on the stove, leading to a scorched pot. Putting her keys into the cookie jar. Failing to pay bills.
As an adult child of a loved one at the beginning stages of compromised safety or perhaps the capability to make sound choices, it can be especially challenging to adapt to a higher degree of involvement and assistance – nevertheless it is also important to take steps sooner rather than later.
When it comes to broaching any confrontational topic of conversation, speaking with your parent regarding the issues you are observing may be met with opposition and defensiveness in the beginning. However, it’s worthwhile to define the particular causes of your concern, as well as the negative consequences if these signs and symptoms continue or become worse.
CareWorks Health Services’, the senior care Laguna Hills specialists, recommend this approach:
1. Be sure that a durable power of attorney has been appointed.
2. Affirm with your brothers and sisters that the problem has to be dealt with, and discuss together what choices are suitable for the senior’s care as needs continue to advance.
3. Remain loving but firm in your strategy. Explain the choices you have considered. If she balks at the thought of relocating to an assisted living facility, which many seniors do, offer an in-home caregiver instead, permitting her to remain independent and safe within the comfort of home.
4. Take into account that it will probably take multiple conversations until the senior accepts the need for assistance – which is why it is essential to begin the process without delay.
At CareWorks Health Services, we are experienced in helping seniors feel safe and positive about how our services will help enhance safety and overall quality of life and well-being. When your family decides the time is right for assistance, we can help with highly customized care that can meet a wide range of needs, such as:
• Meal planning and preparation
• Housework and laundry
• Running errands
• Highly specialized care for dementia
• And much more
Whether the need is for just a few hours each week to boost safety and socialization, full-time care, or anything in between, partnering with CareWorks Health Services increases quality of life for older adults and gives peace of mind for individuals who love them. Give us a call at (949) 859-4700 or contact us online for an in-home consultation and to learn more about our senior care Laguna Hills services.