Stress is bound to happen, and actually, not necessarily a negative thing. After all, as the saying goes, “A diamond is just a piece of charcoal that handled stress exceptionally well.” All the same, especially for family caregivers, the level of stress can very quickly escalate and start to become frustrating, and if not managed effectively, result in significant health problems.
Try these guidelines for effectively dealing with stress and obtain a healthier and much more peaceful lifestyle – both for yourself and the ones you love:
- Change your self-talk. Through the course of every day, you will probably find yourself entertaining thoughts like, “I can’t do this!” or “Everything is going wrong!” Stop when negative thinking starts to intrude, and say to yourself instead, “I’m able to handle this, one step at a time,” or “Help is accessible whenever I require it.”
- Take a break. Deescalate stress through any or all of the subsequent techniques:
- Breathe deeply (inhale to a count of 4; hold for a count of 4; breathe out to a count of 4; hold for a count of 4; repeat as required)
- Go for a walk or engage in some other physical exercise
- Pray or meditate
- Play favorite music
- Write in a journal
- Contact a relative
- Try a stress-busting pursuit. There are a lot of fulfilling activities that will distract your focus away from what was creating stress and onto something more favorable, such as creating art, reading, having fun with pets or children, doing work in the garden or on a do-it-yourself project – the options are limitless, and even as little as 10 or 15 minutes allocated to the experience often helps.
There are even apps especially built with family caregivers in mind to help decrease stress and regain calm. Find five which are especially beneficial from DailyCaring.
Dealing with stress is an ongoing struggle for family caregivers who feel as though they have no support system, and have to handle everything themselves. Fortunately, we have an answer! Call CareWorks Health Services, providers of the most trusted home care services in Laguna Woods and the surrounding area, for an in-home assessment to find out how we can share in your caregiving duties, enabling you to gain the essential time away to destress, with services including:
- Planning and preparing nourishing meals
- Help with personal care and hygiene
- Taking care of housekeeping chores and laundry
- Running errands, including grocery shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Accompaniment to medical appointments and interesting outings
- Companionship to brighten every day with companionable conversations, games, puzzles, hobbies, etc.
- Medication reminders
- And so much more