Whether you’re looking to tune a guitar, study a brand new language, or simply add cats’ ears to a selfie, there’s an app for that! And for older adults who prefer aging in place, technology may very well be a key component in boosting safety, comfort, and overall quality of life.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, for example. Whereas its current benefits for older adults are many, including the capability to track blood sugar levels, make medical appointments, and research information pertaining to a certain health condition, it is actually positioned to dive even deeper within the health care arena – perhaps even detecting heart attacks and helping physicians obtain accurate diagnoses.
Below are a few additional technology solutions you may want to consider for a senior loved one you adore:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting home security system delivers peace of mind pertaining to crime prevention, but often can do a lot more, for example, notifying when sensing smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the house which are typically too high or low, merely to name a few. They’re also beneficial for those diagnosed with dementia who could be susceptible to wandering, to alert to a senior’s movements in and around your home.
- Telehealth: Save a visit to your physician’s office with the use of one of many different apps that allow for remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, many of whom are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Fall Prevention: Among the leading contributors to older adult falls is inadequate lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to improve lighting in areas of particular concern, including between the bedroom and bathroom, or on outdoor walkways, when set off by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior con artists are persistent and consistently changing their approaches. Senior loved ones can enhance security through apps that keep track of financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, catch any usage of a person’s Social Security number, and so much more.
- Health Care: Numerous medical care needs can now be met from the comfort of home, including video chats with health professionals to avoid a visit to the office, prescription ordering, and medication management to ensure meds are used at the correct times as well as in the right doses.
Contact CareWorks Health Services for more recommendations on improving life at home for older adults – whether through technology, our knowledgeable in-home care assistance, or both! We are always here to help set up and explain technological options, and to provide you with the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that empowers older adults to live their best lives. Contact us any time at (949) 859-4700 for an in-home consultation to learn more about the best home care services Newport Beach and the rest of Orange County has to offer!