There is often nothing “routine” about a routine checkup. You may arrive to your appointment perfectly fine but leave with orders for blood work as well as other lab tests a doctor recommends to keep you as healthy as possible. These tests might be nothing more than a small inconvenience for you, however for older adults, they can be challenging, for many reasons: transportation problems, thinner skin, mobility issues, fragile veins, cognitive difficulties, and much more.
There are steps you can take to help advocate for an older loved one during medical testing. For instance:
- If the senior needs to have a test done outside of the home, call ahead to the facility where it will be performed. Find answers to any specific questions you might have about the drop-off location, parking, best time of day to schedule for the test, etc.
- Providing a urine or stool sample can be difficult. Ask the doctor for any recommendations to make the process less difficult, for example, a receptacle to position over the toilet instead of using a cup. Ensure the bathroom floor is dry and clean and that any bathmats or throw rugs are removed, and encourage the person to hold onto a grab bar during the collection process to prevent a fall.
- Find out if tests can be carried out in the senior’s home. Home health care is becoming an extremely viable choice for blood work and other tests.
How Can Home Care Help a Senior Who Needs Medical Tests?
An in-home caregiver from CareWorks Health Services can:
- Pick up prescriptions and provide medication reminders so that meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help the individual get settled safely back at home afterwards and provide companionship and oversight to watch for any changes in condition that need to be reported
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments, tests, and procedures, while assisting with mobility support as needed
- Take notes to ensure doctors’ orders are understood and followed
- And so much more
Also, many people feel more comfortable receiving assistance for sensitive medical matters from a trained professional. Our caregivers are skilled in discreet and respectful support with personal care needs, allowing loved ones to step back and give a senior loved one privacy.
Reach out to us at (949) 859-4700 to arrange for the support needed for someone you love. We provide a free in-home consultation that will help you understand your options. Contact us today for more senior care tips and to discover why our team has the caregivers Orange County and nearby areas trust most for their family. For more information about all of the different areas that we serve, please visit our Service Area page.